Who We Are
Project Rex is a treatment initiative dedicated to providing services, support, and treatment to children and young adults on the autism spectrum and their families. We are affiliated with the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, SC.
Our goal is to help individuals to reach their highest potential by enhancing their social skills, their ability to understand emotions and their adaptability.
About Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism Spectrum Disorders include:
- Aspergers Syndrome
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified
- Rett Syndrome
- Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders benefit from focused cognitive-behavioral and/or activity-based therapies, and medical evaluation.
Furthermore, only about 36% of children on the Autism Spectrum actually have full-blown autism. The remaining percentage are classified as having “High Functioning Autism”.
Although they are termed “High Functioning”, these children are generally lower functioning than their counterparts who have absolutely no symptoms of autism.
Offering hope for individuals with autism spectrum disorders
The Project Rex Team consists of doctors and therapists with a passion for helping individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their loved ones.
Our staff members are:
- Dr. Frampton Gwynette, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist; Founder; Director
- James Truelove, MSW; Director of Parent Programming; Therapist
- Jennifer Warthen, MSW; Director of Children’s Programming; Therapist
- Nancy Warren, PhD; Clinical Associate Professor; Parent Educator
For a full list of staff member bios and credentials, visit the Our Staff page.
Pictured, from left: Frampton Gwynette, M.D.; Nancy Warren, Ph.D.; James Truelove, M.S.W.; Jennifer Warthen, M.S.W.
From left: James Truelove, M.S.W., and Frampton Gwynette, M.D. present at the American Society of Adolescent Psychiatry/International Society of Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology combined meeting in New York City.
Project Rex services include:
Child and Adult Groups
Groups use Cognitive-Behavioral and Activity-Based Therapies to address:
- Meltdowns and Aggression
- Relating to Others
- Appropriate Play
- Understanding Limitations
- Understanding One’s Own Emotions and the Emotions of Others
Groups also use Social Stories to help children learn about appropriate communication, boundaries, and coping skills.
Parallel Parent & Sibling Groups
- Parent and Sibling Education about Child’s Diagnosis
- Parent Support and Coaching about Techniques to Help with Child’s Problem Behaviors
- Guest Speakers from the Community and School District to Help Access Resources and Information
Our clinicians provide fast access to medication management.
Street Address: 67 President Street, Charleston, SC 29425
Phone Number For General Information: (843) 792-9162
Phone Number For Scheduling Intakes and Services: (843) 792-0037
How to Schedule Services
To schedule an intake, call (843) 792-0037 and request a Project Rex Assessment.
How To Register for Groups & Print Brochure
General How to Register for Groups Flyer
View and download a hi-res, print ready PDF of the general flyer.
Print BrochureView Fullscreen